About RAW in the wedding videography

Raw video shooting -- worth for a wedding videography?

For a long time, the only available acquisition format for event videographers was heavily compressed 8-bit H264 4:2:0 (Canon 5Dmk2, panasonic GH2/3, etc). This format (long GOP H264, with 420 chroma subsampling) is very good as a delivery format for internet streaming. But when it comes to postproduction -- especially exposure, color corrections and color grading, you will lack the missing data.
This is why high you need high quality codec with at least 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and 10-bit color space and LOG profile. Or you can shoot raw.
Two years ago, MagicLantern team unlocked raw recording for Canon 5D mark III. After two years, I still know only very few videographers using it.
Please, take a look at my portfolio:

The rest: eeva.pro/en/videograph/kaco
www.kacovideo.cz

What is raw good for?

-- you can fine-tune white balance and exposure in post,
-- you can color grade your films the same way as high budget commercials and films (eg. mask the skin tones),
-- you can delivery the best quality.

What problems you can have?

-- You'll need a lot of storage space. My average wedding is 2TB of data. We need to backup during the day (RAID1 external hard drive) and then a good PC storage (we use 24x4TB RAID6 array).
-- You'll need a lot of computing power (fastest CPU and GPU).
-- You'll need a lot of expensive cards (1066x Lexar 128Gb).
-- MagicLantern is still a "hack" and the 5D speed is on the edge. Be prepared for a skipped frames and on-set fuck-ups. ;)
Still, this is the cheapest ways to create a professional looking video.
Do you know any photographer, who shoots jpeg instead of raw?
Do you thing this is worth it?
Do you thing the client will see the diffrence?
Blocked Martin Kacvinský
··1,005 views·

Comments:

• Administrator WEVA speaker
      Martin among your customers there are those who see the difference ???
      • Blocked Martin Kacvinský
        When playing through vimeo -- I don't know. Or probably no. When playing on a TV -- definetely yes. It's same if a photographer will shoot jpeg and then do color correction on heavily compressed jpeg. If the picture is displayed on a cell phone, you probably won't find such a difference. When printed to A3, the difference will be clear.
        • Administrator WEVA speaker
          Many times we have done polls. Almost all of the bride watching video on tablets or laptops .. View wedding film on the big screen - it's a rare event.
            You will watch the wedding video after years. Five years ago, fullHD TV was rare. Now, there are cell phones with 4K displays.
            But still, most videographers don't understand you don't need raw because of higher delivery quality. It's because of postproduction.
            My customers like the colors we create. And try to make same color grade with standard h264 mov. Won't work.
    • Videographer Alex Balan
      How is your workflow with ML in RAW MODE?
        Hi Alex. We backup during the day on RAID1 drive. Then extract CinemaDNG from the MLV files via mlv2cdng. The I create proxy files viac Davinci Resolve. Cut is being done in Premiere Pro and then loaded back to Davinci Resolve to finish color grade.
    • Videographer Игорь Рено
      I alwais shoot RAW for wedding clip. And it's looks absolutly different! Details, colors (especially skin gradinets from shadows to midtones)... Moreover I shoot about 8 shorts films - and they look fantastic on big (cinema) screen! Mark III RAW is close to RED image, and if you don't know where to see - you will not see the difference.
      Is my clients see the difference? I don't care. I try to make my video as good as possible! :)
Only registered users can leave comments. Sign up or Sign in